Monday 19 October 2015

Commission: Coffee Table


A little while back, I was approached and asked to paint a coffee table for a client. I have never painted furniture before so, of course, I just said YES and that I'd be willing to give it a go! She had seen my henna designs and asked if I could do something similar on the table.

Due to the nature of henna, there is no peniciling in the design first as you are applying it to your skin, so I used the same approach whilst doing the table. I gave myself some basic guidelines, so I could be central/have a perfect circle/etc., and just went for it!

I used a wood stain that the client had provided for me for the pattern design. This worked well as, instead of creating a solid, brown line it had thinner painted sections and heavier painted sections which created a nice effect.





Due to the nature of 'just going for it' it does mean you have to concentrate quite hard when you're trying to make a symmetrical pattern! There are definitely a few mistakes in amongst the design however, I quite enjoy that. Makes it feel like it has been done by hand and not in a factory. I may try and come up with some grid system if I am ever to do this sort of thing again (which I would actually love to do!)

Both myself and the client were happy with the outcome. She even sent a photo of it in her home to me which was very nice!!

No comments:

Post a Comment