Tuesday 27 October 2015

Present: Painted Globe

So, a couple of days ago I posted that I was doing a typography based project for someone as a gift and I can now show you the outcome!


It's a painted globe!
Yes, my friend is a keen adventurer and I was unsure on what to get him for his birthday so I decided I would paint a globe to tie in with his love of travelling.

I bought the globe from my work place.


I decided to paint over the map so that I would have a blank canvas to put my work on, however quite soon after doing this I wished that I hadn't and had left the map as a background!! But it was too late and I had to commit myself to an idea. I looked up didn't quotes about travel in the hopes of finding something that wasn't too cheesy and settled on the simple phrase 'Adventure Awaits'.


I did a LOT of doodling trying to get the typeface right!



I used paints and pens to try and get the style I wanted and, eventually, settled on using a Posca pen because it meant I have the smoothness of paint but more control.


I struggled for a few days on what to do with the imagery, so I decided to keep it simple and draw some planes puffing out little clouds of smoke with funny expressions on!!


I used a limited colour palette of cream, gold, black, white, blue and green.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment